Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 5, 2008

Champaign Man! This work is not for sale. This is an example of Fantacy Art. While most fantacy artists make the figures tall and thin, I made mine short and stocky like a true Viking. This was done on masonite over many layers of sanded gesso, in oils. It has been altered in photoshop.
The technique is many coats of glazed color, created by mixing a bit of oil color in a small jar with liquin. Baby food jars and small jelly jars are great for this purpose. Liquin comes in a thicker mixture which I use at the start and later glazes are made with the thinner mixture, keeping with the "fat over lean" rule. The result is a certain glow that is not achieved when using mostly oils. This is my favorite technique. I also sealed it with liquin and later covered it with liquin again and fixed some scuff marks as I have yet to frame it and have moved it around the studio enough to scuff it up some. I enjoyed seeing this develop with each layer of glaze.
Life Defines Art... Art Defines Life!

No comments: